Thursday, November 6, 2008

Minister of Muggles

I haven't been very good about paying attention to school lately. I've been caught up in all the excitement about the election - there's a new Minister of Muggles. I know some people in our world don't like to pay attention to such things, but I think it's really important - many of us have Muggle relatives, and Wizard-Muggle relations is something that concerns us all. Did you know that one of the candidates actually spoke against witches? I don't know what's scarier - that she doesn't like us, or that she knows about us at all! I wonder how the Statute of Secrecy was violated? This is a good reminder of how important it is - I know I'll be a lot more careful about practicing Quidditch when I'm home for the summer! I don't know what their new Minister thinks of us - perhaps someone will lead a delegation to ask.

But enough about Muggles. I finished a pair of socks! And I've started knitting a new scarf - a magical scarf.

I know it doesn't look like much here, but that's because it's all bunched up on the needles. There's only so much that can be done for knitting in progress, even if you're willing to use a bit of magic from time to time. But wait until you see it finished - it will look like a normal, two-sided, loop-shaped scarf, but if you run your fingers along it you'll see it has only one side.

I'm making the scarf with some handspun that Morgana Black gave me in last term's swap. The colorway is called "Perfect Storm," and it's knitting up to be just lovely - it looks like I'm knitting a cloudy sky. We've been lucky with the sunshine lately, but once winter sets in I'll be glad to have something to remind me that gray and cloudy can be very pretty.

If you'd like to knit a magical scarf yourself, the spell is described here. I hope you'll share pictures if you do!

No comments: